Sunday, May 17, 2015

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Grasshopper Jungle is set in modern, poverty stricken Ealing, Iowa and narrated by Austin Szerba.  Sex and sexuality, adults, bullies, [censored], and sex. Austin and Robby, retrieving some items placed on the roof of the local mall by a group of bullies, decide to slip into “From Attic to Seller Consignment Store” where they see [censored], [censored], [censored], and [censored]While in the store, the group of bullies break in and [censored].  As they sneak out, making sure to avoid the group of bullies, they see [censored], setting off a strange chain of events that [censored].







You’re probably wondering why I did that to the story’s summary. Spoilers are one of my biggest pet peeves, whether it applies to books, movies, games, anything.  Hate ‘em.  Don’t want ‘em near me, don’t wanna look at ‘em. I wish all spoilers would just die.  Okay, that last bit might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it irritates me to no end when I read the back of a book or the inside sleeve of a book gives away crucial information.  If I could go on and on about how much I hate spoilers, I would, complete with an extensive multimedia presentation.  However, I won’t because I’m talking about Grasshopper Jungle right now.  The reason I bring up my disdain for spoilers is because of what would have been ruined for me in this book had I known about it prior.  Nothing that would have destroyed my experience, but it would have taken away something special.  In keeping with that I have made the summary I normally include short and vague.  I want all you potential readers to have that same moment I did.  To best describe that moment, I’ll say this:  I never saw anything but the title of Simon Pegg’s The World End before I watched the movie.  My feelings of unadulterated bewilderment and pure glee when “the shift” happened (I’m hoping this is explanatory enough) in that movie perfectly mirror my reactions when I read this book.  Now that I’ve finished the book and read the back (basically, now that I’ve looked at even the most precursory information about this book) I see it’s actually not that a surprising a shift (much like World’s End wasn’t if anyone saw even a single trailer or looked at the movie posters).  However, I went into this book with only my experience of his earlier books—Ghost Medicine, Passenger, In the Path of Falling Objects—playing into what I expected out of this book (If I’d remembered Marbury Lens I may have seen it coming).  So, if possible, I’d like to give you the same experience I had.  Smith is great at writing captivating coming of age stories, and Grasshopper Jungle is that and more.  For first time Andrew Smith readers, this book is as excellent a place to start as any.

Now that I’ve finished belaboring that single part, I’ll actually get into the actual review.  Sex. Boom, the reader’s hooked.  This is a great coming of age story that, among the many factors to come, isn’t afraid to be in the head of an adolescent boy and elaborate on all of his thoughts.  A few of those thoughts aren’t even about sex.  Along with Austin’s many mixed feelings towards sex and sexuality, his overall attitude towards friends, romantic interests, adults, and bullies are dead on and I would challenge any reader to say that they can’t find a single instance in the story where they aren’t taken back to a similar moment in their own adolescence. [As this is a male character and I’m male, I can’t speak from experience, but I’d wager that this also applies true to females as well.]  The narrative style is that of first person train-of-thought for 10th grade Austin Szerba, and I can’t imagine any other form being this captivating.  There’s always the issue that train-of-thought writing might sound too manufactured or it might be too erratic, but Smith has succeeded in spades.  Also, did I mention that Austin is very, very horny?

As a science fiction, Grasshopper Jungle is almost required to speak to some real modern day issue by way of its sci-fi narrative.   Grasshopper Jungle addresses sexuality in a way that isn’t typically addressed in YA fiction outside of novel solely dedicated to that topic.  This helps pull the topic from sensitive subject matter and makes it part of normal conversation so, regardless of the quality of the story (which is exceptionally high), the impact this book has and will have gets it major points in my book.  It’s clear in every one of his novels, but Smith has an interestingly profound understanding of what it is to be a teenage boy.

The quips and overall comedic tone in here are great.  They’re not forced, they’re clever, they’re fun, and they’re plentiful.  I started with a small list of lines that I thought about including here, but after I’d accumulated a couple dozen from the first forty pages alone (out of nearly four hundred) I realized that the list might exceed the length of the rest of my review.  Not a page will go by that you don’t chuckle, at the very least.  They also make sense, working with the established voice of the story and making the reader enjoy the act of reading while not pulling them out of the story.  Hell, forget quips, it’s all funny, the whole damn book.  And in every single chuckle and thoughtful moment of the book, there are hardly any “book” moments, and when I say “book” moments, I mean events that could only happen in a book.  Thinking them over, I could see them all happening in real life (well…with some obvious exceptions).  There’s a life in this book, making it more than a story and making it incredibly clear that no one could finish this book being worse off.

The premise of the story (and yes, this will be vague) is one we’ve all heard before.  Important/relevant older figure has store with strange odds and ends.  Kids break in.  Kids find things hidden away off main store floor.  Kids witness object’s misuse.  Chaos/plot ensues.  It’s a solid angle that works and Smith puts his own flourish on it.  The characters, primarily Austin and Robby, are also constructed incredibly well, coming off as intelligent and self-aware while being believable as teenagers, not appearing as teenage puppets worked by their adult and experienced creator. 

“The shift” that I referred to earlier—the cause of my vagueness and, most likely, your irritation towards how unhelpful my review is—results in one of the mostly calmingly surreal stories I’ve read in a while.  There is no loss in teenage awkwardness, no overselling of certain emotions, and the ending is a blast.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys slice-of-life stories, science fiction, and chuckles, as well as anyone dealing with, or trying to understand, teenager-hood.  Actually, I’d recommend this to anyone of any age who likes a good, fun story.  This is, at least, one of my top five YA novels.  Now, while you go read Grasshopper Jungle, I think I’ll go check out Alex Crow


Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment